- D -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browser's "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
DAVIS, Archie R.
Among the younger generation of Johnson township, Clinton county, who have begun to make a reputation for business integrity, personal charm and industry is the subject of this sketch, the prominent young banker of Hillisburg, whose accomplishments to date have been many and worthy, and it is no idle prediction to say in this sketch that ere he has reached the three score and ten he will rank with the representative men of whatever community he may be associated with.
Archie R. Davis was born May 9, 1885, in Forest township, this county, and was the son of S. M. and Hannah B. (CLARK) DAVIS. S. M. Davis is also a native of this locality, being born here and died here on April 20, 1889. He had a good education and utilized this in the vocation of teaching for a number of years. However, his main occupation was farming, and he voted the Democratic ticket. The mother was born in Clinton county on December 9, 1860, and is still living at the home of our subject. The father was married twice, his first wife being Isabelle BLAIR, who died after giving birth to one child which also died. By his second wife one child was born, Archie R., our subject.
Archie Davis received a very creditable education in the common and high schools of his native township, and began business life afterward on the farm. He stayed there until the year 1912, when the Hillisburg Bank was organized. W. A. Thomas was chosen to be president and John Dunn, vice-president; our subject was made cashier, with Joseph Foreman acting as assistant cashier. The bank began business August 5, 1912, with a capital stock of twenty thousand dollars, operating as a private bank. Our subject owns about three hundred and sixty acres of fine farm land in Johnson and Forrest townships and it is all well tiled, drained and fenced. His mother owns part of this estate. Mr. Davis is building at this writing, a commodious and up-to-date bungalow in Hillisburg.
Mr. Davis was married on September 18, 1907, to Regina STOTTER, who was born September 18, 1890, in Forest township, the daughter of Marion F. and Margaret (JOHNSON) STOTTER, who were natives of Clinton county. The wife received a common school education at the place of her birth. Two children have been born of this union: Samuel S., October 31, 1908, and Mona M., May 26, 1912.
Fraternally, Mr. Davis is a member of the Masonic Order, and politically, a Democrat. He is an ardent member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
pp. 571-572 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DAVIS, Charles A.
The subject of this sketch is a native son of Clinton county and a representative of one of its sterling and honored families. He has shown himself to be a man of marked individuality and enterprise, ranking among the most successful and popular of our modern agriculturists, and he has labored not for himself alone, but has found time to assist such worthy movements as have for their objects the general improvement of his locality, whether in a material, civic or moral way, and no man stands higher in his community than he.
Charles A. Davis, owner of The Oaks, a most desirable stock and grain farm of Section 7, Perry township, which place contains one hundred and seven acres, is the scion of one of our worthiest pioneer families, whose good reputation has been careful in sustaining. He was born on the old homestead December 5, 1862. He is a son of William DAVIS, an early settler here, who was born in Ross county, Ohio. He spent his earlier years in the Buckeye state and there received such education as the old-time schools of his day afforded, and married Edith THARP, who was born in Galion county, Ohio, on October 4, 1827. She was a daughter of James THARP, a native of Pennsylvania. His wife was born near the city of Carlisle, that state. She was known in her maidenhood as Caroline WICKER, daughter of Thomas WICKER, who lived and died near Carlisle. James Tharp died in 1835. His family consisted of four sons and four daughters. The mother died at the age of sixty-five years.
William Davis married Elizabeth THARP when she was nineteen years old in Ross county, Ohio. John DAVIS was born in Virginia of an old family of that state. The mother, Catherine STUCKEY, was born in Ohio. Her parents came to this country from Germany. The death of William Davis occurred in 1896 a the age of seventy-two years. They were active workers in the Christian church of Colfax. Their children were Robert (deceased), Mrs. Mahala HOLT, Elsberry, now at home: John, at home; Darius (deceased); Charles A., of this sketch; Noah, living at Clarks Hill, Tippecanoe county, and Mary Belle, married to William HUDSON.
Charles A. Davis was reared on the home farm and there did his share of the work during crop seasons, and in the winter time he attended the district schools. He was married on October 13, 1892, to Eliza J. ARBEGUST, a daughter of Benjamin and Anne (LINDSAY) ARBEGUST. Two children were born of this union, Ella, who died in childhood, and Coral, who is at home.
About this period Mr. Davis was elected county recorder by a large majority and he served for four years in a manner that reflected much credit upon himself and to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned. His books were in fine shape when he turned them over to his successor, for he was accurate, methodical and painstaking. He always looked out for the best interests of the county. After the expiration of his term of office he was engaged successfully in the abstract real estate business in partnership with William Milroy. He sold out his interest to Mr. Milroy and has since engaged extensively in the live stock shipping business and farming, being an excellent judge of all kinds of live stock. He keeps his fine farm well stocked, often having as many as three hundred sheep at a time. Fraternally, he is a member of the Masonic Order, and politically, he is a loyal Democrat.
pp. 463-464 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DAVIS, Charles S.
If everyone would resolutely determine to look upon the bright side of things, the world would be far happier and considerably better off. There is supposed to be a silver lining to every cloud, so the poet Riley, proposed that we should turn all our clouds wrong side out. There are many people who will say that it is cheap and easy for one who has been successful to utter such an opinion, but it might be interesting to them to know that when one achieves and arrives at success it is even harder to look upon the bright side of things, than it was in the days when one possessed little of this worlds goods. One of the successful citizens of Forest township, Clinton county, who has always made it a point to be optimistic and to scatter sunshine along lifes pathway is Charles S. Davis, well-known farmer, now living in retirement.
Mr. Davis was born July 12, 1867, in this township, then a part of Johnson township. He is a son of John A. and Anna (NORMAN) DAVIS. John A. Davis was a successful general farmer and stock dealer, and was one of our shrewdest money makers, a man of keen foresight and sound judgement, yet possessing strict honor and integrity. He became the owner of six hundred acres of valuable land in this locality and was long an influential citizen here. He has been deceased a number of years.
To John A. and Anna (Norman) Davis five children were born,, four of whom are still living: Charles S., of this sketch; Lowell H., Martha (dec), Norman O. and Mary.
Charles S. Davis grew to manhood on the home farm, where he spent his boyhood days in much the same manner as other country boys. He received a good common school education, attending Frankfort high school for awhile.
Mr. David has been twice married, first on September 11, 1881, to Sadie DALE, who was born in the autumn of 1865 in Howard county, Indiana. She was a daughter of Frances M. and Rachael (RATCLIFF) DALE. Mr. Dale was a native of Ohio from which state he came to Clinton county, in an early day and established the future home of the family. The death of our subjects first wife occurred on December 24, 1905, without issue. On February 14, 1912, Mr. Davis married Ethel GIBBS, who was born in Hancock county, Indiana, May 18, 1885. She is a daughter of John S. and Sarah (BRISTO) GIBBS, both also natives of Hancock county. There Mrs. Davis grew to womanhood and received a common school education. Of this last union one child has been born, Milo Dale DAVIS, whose birth occurred on May 1, 1913.
Mr. Davis began farming when a young man and has continued in this line of endeavor to the present time with uninterrupted success. He is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of valuable and productive land, all tillable but about twenty-five acres. The place is under a high state of improvements. He buys and feeds large numbers of hogs annually. Although he still resides on his farm, he rents the land, merely overseeing its operation in a general way.
Mr. Davis is a Democrat, but has never been active in politics. He belongs to the Masonic Order, lodge at Forest, also the Knight Templars. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant church and its superintendent of the Sunday school.
pp. 954-955 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
The representative and honored citizen of Colfax, Clinton county, has been distinctively the architect of his own fortunes. He has been true and loyal in all the relations of life and stands as a type of that sterling manhood which ever commands respect and honor. Mr. Davis is a man who would have won his way in any locality where fate might have placed him, for he has sound judgment, coupled with great energy and business tact, together with upright principles, all of which make for success wherever and whenever found. By reason of these principles he has won and retained a host of friends throughout Clinton county where he has spent his life and of which he is a native. He is one of the pioneer business men of Colfax, having been engaged successfully and continuously in business here for the past twenty-seven years.
Mr. Davis was born in Clinton county, near Colfax, July 27, 1862, on a farm. He is a son of Joel DAVIS, who was born in Ross county, Ohio. The mother of our subject was Elizabeth PATTON, of English descent, and a native of Indiana. The death of the father occurred at the age of sixty-eight years. Politically, he was a Democrat, and he belonged to the Christian church. The mother is still living and resides with her daughter, Mrs. F. L. SHIRLEY, in Clinton county. To this union of the parents of our subject seven children were born, four sons and three daughters.
George Davis grew to manhood on the home farm, where he did his full share of the general work, and he received his education in the common schools of his home community. He learned the drug business when young and has followed the same in Colfax for a period of twenty-seven years, during which time he has enjoyed an every growing trade with the city and surrounding country owing to the fact that he keeps a fresh and well selected line of drugs and drug sundries in a tastily arranged, up-to-date drug store, and deals honestly and courteously with his hundreds of patrons. He is regarded as one of the best pharmacists in central Indiana. Everything found in the modern drug stores in the large cities is to be had at this store.
Mr. Davis was married in 1885 at Darlington, Montgomery county, this state, to Flora E. MURPHY, a daughter of one of the honored and well known families of that locality. There she grew to womanhood and received a good education. One daughter, Oma L., has been born to our subject and wife.
Politically, Mr. Davis is a Democrat. He is an active member of the Christian church, and has been superintendent of the Sunday school for about three years. His wife is also active in church and Sunday school work. He is a liberal supporter of the church, and took an active part in building the new Christian church edifice in Colfax in 1912, which is an elegant structure, well suited to the local congregations needs in every way. Fraternally, Mr. Davis belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a lover of home and takes little interest in political work. He has a pleasant and modern residence, furnished with electric lights, furnace, hot and cold water, etc. In fact, it is one of the most desirable homes in Colfax, is neatly furnished and tastily kept, and is often the mecca for the many friends of the family who always find here genuine hospitality.
pp. 517-518 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DAVIS, Morton Perry,
MORTON PERRY DAVIS, ex-county auditor, and a representative citizen of Clinton county, Ind., of which he is a native, is a son of Hueston and Jane (LINCH) DAVIS. Hueston Davis was born in Lehigh county, Pa., September 14, 1823, and married in Clinton county, Ind., April 10, 1845, to which part of the state he came when a boy with his mother, and who settled in Warren township. He became a large land owner and successful farmer in the township of Johnson, where at one time he had an estate of over 800 acres. By his marriage with Jane LINCH, he had a family of seven children, whose names are as follows: John A., deceased; Morton P.; Allen, deceased; Samuel M., an interprising citizen of Clinton county, killed by a vicious horse a few days after his nomination for auditor; W. H., trustee of Johnson township, Martha E., wife of L. FRIEND, and George E., of Kokomo, Ind. After the death of his first wife, Hueston DAVIS married Mary COWDRY, a union blessed by the birth of four children, of whom two are now living: Laura B., wife of W. DUNN, and Orris C. Hueston Davis was a democrat in politics a member of the Masonic fraternity and a active worker in the Methodist church. His death occurred February 2, 1879, and his wife was called from the scene of her earthly labors on the eleventh day of May, 1894. Morton Perry Davis was born January 16, 1849, and upon the farm where his youth was passed he learned the lessons of industry which have characterized his later years and laid the foundation of the success which has crowned his subsequent life. In the common schools of the country he received a practical English education, and, having selected agriculture as his vocation, engaged in the same upon his own responsibility when twenty years of age, locating on a farm of ninety acres, given him by his father, to which he has since made additions until his possessions at this time comprise 389 acres of as fine land as is to be found within the limits of Clinton county. Mr. Davis has always had a proper conception of the true dignity of agriculture, and it is praise, honorably due, when he is classed with the most intelligent, enterprising, and progressive farmers of Clinton. Immediately after his re-tirement from office he resumed his residence on his fine estate, in Forest township. By judicious management and the employment of correct business methods, he has succeeded in accumulating a competency, and a list of the county's representative men would be incomplete without a mention of his name. Mr. DAVIS's first marriage was solemnized December 24, 1869, with Sarah Middleton, of Illinois, a union blessed with the birth of one child--Frances M. Mrs. Davis departed this life in April, 1874, and subsequently Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Anna RATHFON, who was born April 14, 1850, in Adams county, Pa. Mrs. Davis is the daughter of John and Lydia (SPANGLER) RATHFON, and she has borne her husband the following children--Orrin, Earl, Cleveland, Clyde, Cohee, and two that died in infancy unnamed. Samuel M. Davis, brother of the subject, was the nominee for county auditor in 1890, and his death, which resulted fourteen days after his nomination, left that place upon the ticket vacant. At the earnest solicitation of the central committee, Morton P. Davis was induced to accept the nomination, and in the ensuing election he was triumphantly elected to the office, the duties of which he discharged in an able and satisfactory manner, being one of the most popular officials the county has ever had. He looked after the interests of the office, in which he was ably assisted by his deputies, Pierce GASKILL and L. A. TRAMBARGER, and he also gave personal attention to his farming interests, dividing his time between the country and city. Since 1869 Mr. Davis has been extensively engaged in handling live stock, principally cattle and hogs, which he ships to the Indianapolis and Buffalo markets, and for thirteen years he has operated a threshing machine in Clinton and adjoining counties. Mr. Davis is one of the leading democrats of the county, and as such has contributed much to the success of his party. He is a member the I. 0. 0. F., subordinate lodge and encampment, is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to the Methodist church, as does also his wife.
pp. 642 - 645. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
DAVIS, Newton C. , M. D.
NEWTON C. DAVIS, M.D., a prominent physician of Frankfort and a man of national reputation as a manufacturer of proprietary medicines, was born October 20, 1856, in Knox county, Tenn. His father, William B. Davis, was born in South Carolina, and his mother, whose maiden name was Caroline HEFFLIN, was born in the year 1839. After his marriage, William B. Davis located in Smith county, Tenn., and became a planter of large means, owning at one time 330 acres of land and twenty-eight slaves. He resided in Smith county until 1855, thence moved to the county of Knox, and after a short residence there returned to his former home, where he lived until the emancipation of his slaves in 1861. In the latter year he emigrated to Fulton county, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1866, at which date he moved to the city of Springfield, that state, where he still lives. Mrs. Davis died in October, 1859, and subsequently Mr. Davis took unto himself another wife. Three children were born to William B. and Caroline Davis, namely: Amanda L., deceased, Louisa A., wife of E. W. ALTAND of South Bend, and Newton C., whose name appears at the beginning of this notice. William B. DAVIS served with distinction in the Mexican war as captain, and was wounded in one of the battles of that struggle. He is a man of marked intellectuality, a democrat in politics, and takes a prominent part in the affairs of the city where he resides. When five years of age the subject of this sketch went to live with John LANCASTER, Esq., of Fulton county, Ill., and remained under his roof until 1866, when he accompanied that gentleman to Kansas. While in the west Mr. LANCASTER engaged in farming where the city of Lawrence now stands, and after two years spent there changed his location to Kansas City, where he died in the spring of 1871. His widow then returned to Fulton county, Ill., throwing the subject of this sketch upon his own resources, and for the period of one year young DAVIS worked at any kind of honest em-ployment that his hands found to do. Determined to adopt something definite as a means of support, the doctor learned the trade of carriage painting at Astoria, Ill., and continued the same there and at other places until his twenty-third year. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. J. A. McGILL, of South Bend, Ind., where he remained three years, and on the nineteenth day of March, 1884, was graduated from the Cleveland Homeopathic college. After completing his professional education, Dr. Davis located in the practice of medicine at Frankfort, Ind., and has since made this city his home. He did a general practice until 1890, at which time he embarked in the manufacture of proprietary medicines, which he has since carried on very successfully, with a constantly increasing reputation. The medicines bearing his label are known all over the United States and parts of Europe. So rapidly have his remedies grown in popular favor that the doctor has established an agency in the city of New York, and gives steady employment to four traveling salesmen. Dr. Davis was married in the city of Frankfort June 30, 1886, to Miss Emma L. McCURDY, who was born April 22, 1864, in the city of Indianapolis the daughter of Hugh and Martha J. (WALKER) McCURDY. They have one child--Martha. Politically the doctor is a republican, and fraternally, belongs to the Masonic and Pythian orders. The doctor's life is a commendable example of what may be accomplished by perseverance, seconded by strong will power and marked intellectuality. That he has been successful is sufficiently attested by his present conspicuous standing, at which he has arrived without any assistance save the well formed determination to make the best of very discouraging surroundings and to overcome obstacles that to the majority of men would have appeared practically insurmountable. Financially, as well as professionally, the doctor's success has been assured, and he now owns valuable property and does an annual business of over $40,000.
pp. 640 - 641. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
DAVIS, Orace Clinton
It is a good sign when a county like Clinton can boast of so many of her enterprising farmers and business men who are native sons, for it indicates that here are to be found all the opportunities necessary to insure success in the material affairs of life and that her native sons, unlike so many from various sections, have found it to their advantage to remain at home. They have been wise in doing this, for nature has offered the husbandman unusual advantages here and seldom fails to reward the honest worker with gratifying results, and when the tillers of the soil are prosperous all lines of business flourish, consequently not only the farmers have succeeded in Clinton county, but also the merchants, millers, lumbermen, stock dealers and men of many other vocations. The county ranks well with the thriving sections of this or any other state.
One of the prosperous native sons of this county is the well-known farmer and stock man, Orace Clinton Davis, of Forest township, who was born but a few miles from where he now lives, on May 3, 1867. He is a son of Hueston and Mary (COWDRY) DAVIS. Hueston Davis was born September 14, 1822, in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. Early in life he came to Clinton county, Indiana, where he married Jane LYNCH on April 10, 1845. He had come to this locality with his mother who settled in Warren township. Here he became an extensive land owner and a successful farmer, owning a valuable tract of land in Johnson township, at one time his estate aggregating over eight hundred acres. By his marriage to Jane Lynch, seven children were born, namely: John A., deceased; Morton P. is living; Allen is deceased; Samuel M., an enterprising citizen of Clinton county, was killed by a vicious horse a few days prior to the convention that would have nominated him for the office of county auditor; William H., Martha and George E. are all living. After the death of the mother of the above named children Hueston Davis married Mary Cowdry, by which union four children were born, two of whom are deceased, namely: Laura is the widow of W. DUNN, he being deceased; Orace C., subject of this sketch; the other two died in early life. The death of Hueston Davis occurred on February 2, 1877. The mother of the subject of this sketch was born in Ohio September 16, 1838, and her death occurred on May 11, 1894.
Grandfather DAVIS was an early day trader in the state of Pennsylvania. He made the long voyage on a raft from Pennsylvania down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans frequently, walking back home. On one of these trips he disappeared and nothing of his whereabouts was ever heard He may have been drowned, but most probably was murdered by highwaymen, who frequently killed and robbed strangers passing through the country, as they were always supposed to carry gold. Soon after his disappearance his wife removed with a brother of her husband, Hamilton DAVIS, to Clinton county, Indiana, and here established the permanent home of the family, and from that early day to the present the Davises have been leading citizens here.
Orace Davis grew to manhood on the home farm and he received a common school education, later attending the normal school at Ladoga, Montgomery county. On May 23, 1888, he married Jennie L. PRUITT, daughter of John and Nancy J. (STEWART) PRUITT. Mrs. Davis was born February 25, 1869, in Johnson township, Clinton county, and there she grew to womanhood and received a common school education. Her father was in early life a blacksmith, later a farmer.
Four children have been born to our subject and wife, one of whom is deceased, namely: Glenn H., born March 22, 1896; Palmer J., born March 22, 1899; Paul P., born March 27, 1907.
Mr. Davis has been engaged since early manhood in general farming, raising and feeding live stock. He has control of three hundred and thirty-eight acres, including one hundred and eight acres which is in his wifes name, the rest being in his own name. The land is valuable, fertile and under a high state of improvement and cultivation, all being tillable but about seven acres which is in timber and pasture. He has built nearly all the buildings now to be seen on the place, and he has a pleasant, commodious home. He buys large numbers of cattle and hogs annually which he prepares for market. He formerly used many horses, but is now making gasoline do as much of his work as possible.
Fraternally, Mr. Davis is a member of the Masonic lodge at Forest, and is a Knight Templar. Politically, he is a Democrat and has been more or less active locally. He once made the race for county clerk, but was defeated. He votes independently in local affairs. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
pp. 931-933 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
Among the sturdy and enterprising farmers and popular public officials of Perry township, Clinton county, is the gentleman whose name introduces this biographical review, whose life has been one of industry and strict adherence to honorable principles, which has resulted in gaining a comfortable living and at the same time winning the esteem of his fellow men.
Peter Davis, owner of Fairland Farm, and trustee of Perry township, having been elected to that office in 1908, is a descendant of an excellent old pioneer family of this county. He was born within a mile of where he now lives on December 9, 1868, and he has been content to spend his life in his native community. He is a son of Joel DAVIS, now deceased, he having been a native of Ohio, and from which state he came to this township and county in an early day and became a leading farmer here. He grew up on a farm in Ross county, Ohio, and attended the old time schools there, equipped with slab seats, puncheon floor and greased paper for window panes. In early life he married Elizabeth PATTON, who made him a good wife and helpmeet. She is still living, being now advanced in years. To Joel Davis and wife seven children were born, namely: Jesse, George, John, Peter, Anna C., Sarah I., and Mary. The father of these children died at the age of sixty-nine years. Politically he was a Democrat and he belonged to the Christian church. His widow is also a faithful member of this church. He was one of the leading members and most liberal supporters of the church in his neighborhood during his life time.
Peter Davis was reared on the home farm and there was taught to work, how to rotate crops, raise live stock, etc. On March 20, 1891, he married Leona STOOK, daughter of Ben and Margaret STOOK, the father long since deceased. Mr. Davis first wife died some fourteen years ago. By this union four children were born: Flossie B., a teacher of considerable local prominence; Ruby M., a graduate of Marion College, has a good position in Indianapolis; Lena M., attending high school in Colfax, and Ferris Earl, now sixteen years old, attending high school.
Mr. Davis was first owner of a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres and later brought the Isaac Goodnight farm. He now has a valuable and productive farm of two hundred and fifty acres, one of the best in Perry township, and is carrying on general farming and stock raising on a large scale in a manner stamping him as among the leaders in this field of endeavor in the county. He has a large and well arranged home, in the midst of fine shade trees, with numerous outbuildings, and about his place is always to be seen an excellent grade of live stock of all kinds. No small part of his annual income is derived from this source, since he understands well the proper care of stock. He has one of the largest and best orchards in the township, noted for its fine fruit of all kinds. He has become well established through his long years of good management and persistent work, and is now surrounded by all the comforts of life.
Politically, Mr. Davis is a Democrat and is influential in public affairs locally. He has been a frequent delegate to county and state conventions. He is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator at Colfax. He is a jovial, well informed man, a good mixer and generally popular throughout the county.
pp. 528-529 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
WILLIAM DAVIS, a prominent farmer and well-known old settler of Perry township, Clinton county, Ind., is a native of Ohio, born in Ross county, on the twelfth day of September, 1824. His ancestors were Germans, and came to America a great many years ago, settling in Virginia, in which state his grandfather, William Davis, was born and reared. John Davis, son of William and father of the subject, was a native of Albemarle county, Va., where he resided until his twenty-second year, and then moved to Ohio, settling in Ross county. He married Katharine STUCKY, daughter of Abraham and Eva (BUSH) STUCKY, and about two years thereafter emigrated to Tippecanoe county, Ind., and settled not far from LaFayette, where he purchased eighty acres of government land. He shortly thereafter disposed of his interest in Tippecanoe, and moved to Clinton county, locating where his son now resides, and became the possessor of a large tract of land, including in all over 600 acres. He was one of the early pioneers of Clinton county, and at the time of his settlement the present flourishing city of Frankfort was a mere backwoods hamlet of five or six cabins. The following are the names of the children born to John and Katherine Davis: William, Joel, Lorena, Abram, Oza, Avelina G., Isaac, John J.. Elam and Mary. Mr. Davis took great interest in religious matters, having for a number of years been an elder in the Christian church. Politically, he was a democrat of the orthodox type, and is remembered as a man of many excellent qualities. The immediate subject of this sketch, William Davis, came to Clinton county, Ind., when quite young and passed the years of his youth and early manhood amid the stirring scenes of pioneer times, acquiring, thereby, a vigorous constitution which served him well in the work of assisting his father in clearing the farm. He has witnessed the many marvelous changes through which Clinton county has passed during the last half century and more, and recalls the time when the farmers were compelled to go to La Fayette for their family supplies, while the best market place, at that time, for the sale of their grain was the far-off town of Chicago, Ill. To make a trip to the latter place required several days, and the loads, owing to the almost impassable condition of the roads during certain seasons of the year, were of necessity very small. Mr. Davis early learned the lessons of industry, and his youth was without any striking incidents of note except as would naturally be met with at a time when everything, in a new country, would be of a somewhat exciting character. Mr. Davis attended, during certain seasons, when he could be spared from home, the old-fashioned country school, taught in an insignificant cabin constructed of logs, supplied with furniture of the simplest description, consisting of rough long-legged benches and a simple writing desk made of a single board resting upon long pins fastened in the wall; the floor of the building was made of split puncheons and the apartment was heated by a large old-fashioned fire-place from ten to twelve feet wide, and the light was allowed to enter the room through an opening in the wall made by the removal of a log, into which oiled paper was fitted instead of glass. Mr. DAVIS was married June 1, 1846, to Elizabeth THROPE, daughter of James THROPE, after which he settled on his present farm in Perry township, which now embraces an area of 205 acres, which, under his successful management, has been highly improved. Mr. Davis is a successful farmer, an intelligent and upright citizen, and has borne his full share toward the development of the community in which he has for so many years resided. Since his twenty-first year he has voted the democratic ticket, and while not identified with any church organization is a believer in and liberal supporter of all moral and religious movements. The father of Mrs. Davis was a native of Ohio and an early resident of Tipton county, Ind.; her mother was born in North Carolina. The following are the children of Mr. and Mrs. DAVIS: Sarah, Wifliam, Joseph, Elsie, Zase, Polly and Mahalia. pp. 641- 642.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
DAVIS, William Laden
Agriculture in Clinton county has a worthy representative in the person of William L. Davis, of Jackson township. He is a large land owner, and his many acres are very productive, resulting from the best methods of tillage care. Mr. Davis is honored and respected by his fellow citizens, because he has assisted them in every laudable enterprise they have ventured for the prosperity of the county. He is a man of the strictest integrity, and his every action is based upon the principles of doing right.
Mr. Davis was born in Ironton, Ohio, on March 17, 1855, and was the son of John J. and Catherine (MARSHALL) DAVIS, the father being a native of Wales. John J. Davis first settled in New York stated. He came to Ironton, Ohio, where he worked in furnaces, also kept hotel for a number of years, then to Fulton county, Illinois, where he spent eighteen years in farming; then to Champaign county, Illinois, still farming. He died in 1888. Mrs. Davis died in June, 1908, in Champaign county.
William L. Davis had a common school eudcation (sic), after which he worked on the farm. He came to Clinton county in 1900 from Champaign county, Illinois, and now owns about three hundred and ten acres of land in Jackson township, all of which is tillable, well fenced, tiled and improved. For the last five years Mr. Davis has managed the place, but has led a retired life.
Politically, Mr. Davis is a Progressive, but voted the Republican ticket from 1877 to 1909thirty-two years. At one time he was a township commissioner in Champaign county, Illinois. He is a member of the Christian church, and is teacher of the mens Bible class of Antioch. He is a Mason at Frankfort, belonging to the Council, Royal Arch, the Chapter, Knights Templar, and Commandery of Frankfort.
On September 25, 1879, he was married to Mary E. BARRICK, born in Champaign county, Illinois, December 28, 1857, the daughter of William R. and Louisa BARRICK. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Davis: Fred R., on the farm; May died when five years old; Wood W., of Lebanon, Indiana; Ray H., of Frankfort; John W., of Los Angeles, California; and Merle C., wife of Charles T. KNOBES, of Frankfort, Indiana.
pp. 519-520 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DAVISON, David G.
Rev. David G. Davison
20th IND. Co. G.
Our subject was a young man of 17 and employed as a cooper at Jefferson, Washington twp., Clinton Co., Ind., at the time of his enlistment for 3 years at Lafayette, Ind., about June 1, 1861,as a private, he was enrolled in Co. G, 20th I.V.I., Gen. Phil. Karneys Brig. And Div., Dept. of the Potomac. His was the first regiment to carry unfurled colors through Baltimore. He saw the fight between the Monitor and the Merrimac in the Hampton Roads. At capture of Norfolk and Portsmouth, Va., Seven Pines where they joined McClellans forces in June, 1862 in front of Richmond. He was in the battle at Chickahominy Swamps, Malvern Hill, and others for six days, in 2d Bulls Run Campaign and was wounded Sept. 2, 1862, by gunshot in the right hand causing loss of thumb. He was in the hospital at Washington where thumb was amputated for some time then on to Philadelphia, until his discharge Feb.24, 1863, on Surg. Certificate of disability. Rev. Davidson was the son of William and Clarissa (sithens) Davidson; he was born in Butler Co. Ohio, March 10, 1843 and settled in this county in 1852. He was married in Dec 1863, near Frankfort, Ind., to Elmyra Cunningham who was born in Clinton Co., in 1842. He was again married July 1872, in Crawford Co., Ill., to Nancy J. Groves who was born in Fayette Co., Ohio. They had one son, Samuel; he was married for the third time to Mrs. Jennie Lewis, who was born in Hendricks Co., Ind., April 14, 1862, the fruits of this union being five children, Jesse, Letitia, Clarissa and two deceased. Comrade Davidson had two brothers, Samuel of Co., A, 20th, Ind. Who was badly wounded at Gettysburg, and Henry of Co. K, 72d., Ind. Our comrade served as marshal of Michingantown, Ind., for two or three years and also road supervisor for some time. He was first a member of the M.E. church for several years and the Free Methodist church for several years and later an ordained minister of the Holiness Christian church; was previously an M.E. minister. Mrs. Davidson has ever been an active member of the Christian and Methodist churches, ever since her girlhood days. At the present time he is totally blind; he resides at 1002 Gentry st., Frankfort. Indiana.
SOURCE: PRESIDENTS, SOLDIERS, and STATESMEN complied in 1899
SUBMITTER: Dick Leibenguth
DAVISON, Samuel N.
This well known citizen is another of the old soldiers who went out to fight their countries battles a half century ago. What a pleasant sight it is at the present day to see a company of these honored veterans go by on Decoration Day or the Fourth of July, in the blue uniforms and with their tattered flags flying. But they will all be gone in a few more years, and nothing will be left but a memory. That memory should be perpetuated in song and story and monument, so that future generations may draw inspiration from their patriotism and gallantry. After an eminently successful, active and useful business career, Mr. Davison is now living in retirement in the village of Jefferson were he was for many years a merchant and for thirty-one years post master. In the development of his town and county he ever showed his eagerness to assist in any way he could; and, as a result of his public spirit, his honesty and neighborliness, he has ever enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who know him, having a wide acquaintance throughout Clinton county.
Samuel N. Davison was born in Decatur county, Ind., October 28, 1839. He is a son of William and Clarissa (SYTHENS) DAVISON. The father was a native of Pennsylvania and the mother of New Jersey, and of Irish and English lineage. William Davison, paternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Dublin, Ireland, where he grew up, married and had two children. He then emigrated with his family to America, being on the ocean eleven months and one child being born on the ship. On reaching, the United States, William Davison settled in Pennsylvania, and a number of years later he moved to Butler county, Ohio, where he spent the rest of his life. His family consisted of six children: Samuel, Mary, Esther, Jane, Betsy and William, father of our subject.
William Davison, Jr. was ten years old when his father settled in Butler county, 0. In his youth he learned the cooper's trade at which he worked in Butler county and in several places in Indiana, and for two years he farmed in Arkansas. Later he lived in Madison, Ind., then returned to Ohio and in November, 1852, came back to Indiana, locating on a farm in Clinton county. In 1817 he moved to the town of Jefferson and resumed his trade. A few years later he embarked in the hotel business which he followed with fair success until about 1871 when he retired from active life. His death occurred on July 22, 1893, his wife having preceded him to the grave on January 2d of the same year. They were parents of twelve children: Elizabeth, wife of William BAKE; Jane, Josiah, William, DeWitt C., Samuel N., our subject, Clarissa, Margaret, wife of William CAMPBELL: Charles G., Henry, John, and Esther, wife of Frank DOTY.
Samuel N. Davison remained under his parental roof-tree until he was about twenty-one years of age, having in the meantime learned the cooper's trade under his father, maintaining a shop at the village of Jefferson until the breaking out of the Civil war. Upon learning of the defeat of the Federal troops at the first battle of Bull Run he soon took leave of his wife and enlisted September 11, 1862, in Company A. Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry and was with that noted regiment in all its various experiences in the strenuous campaigns and bloody battles in Virginia. At the second battle of Bull Run he was, among others, detailed to bury the dead. He then went to Arlington Heights, near Washington City, where the Union army was encamped. He was soon, however, on a forced march with the rest of the troops through Maryland, and from that time on he was in almost constant service, proving to be a most faithful and gallant soldier, always gladly performing his duty no matter how dangerous or arduous. He fought in some of the greatest battles of the war, including Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. He was wounded and taken prisoner at the last named battle, but a few days later he was retaken and sent to Baltimore, thence to Annapolis, Maryland, where he remained in the hospital for some time. He was also severely wounded at Chancellorsville, which resulted in the loss of one of his eyes. Mr. Davidson was honorably discharged on May 11, 1864 and immediately thereafter returned home, taking up his trade of cooper in Jefferson, continuing the same until 1869, when he purchased the hotel formerly owned by his father. He remodeled the same and continued to operate it with success until 1872, when he sold out and embarked in the mercantile business which he carried on for some time with very gratifying results, then began buying and selling staves and other cooperage material.
On August 11, 1860 Mr. Davison married Lucinda DILMON, daughter of Daniel DILLMON, and of this union seven children were born : William H., Dilmon, Flora E., Lucia B., Etta S., Russell and Emma May. Russell shot himself accidentally January 1, 1894, the wound finally resulting fatally.
Politically, Mr. Davison is a Republican. He was postmaster at Jefferson for a period of thirty-one years, his long retention giving evidence of his faithful and satisfactory service. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, but was for years a member of the United Brethren church. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic at Frankfort. He was one of the veterans who attended the fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg on the battlefield, the first three days of July, 1913. He again stood on the spot where he was wounded. Pages 784 786 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
The character of a community is determined in a large measure by the lives of a comparatively few of its members. If its moral and intellectual status be good, if in a social way it is a pleasant place in which to reside, if its reputation for the integrity of its citizens has extended into other localities, it will be found that the standards set by the leading men have been high and their influence such as to mould their characters and shape the lives of those with whom they mingle. In placing the subject of this sketch in the front rank of such men, justice is rendered a biographical fact universally recognized throughout Clinton county by those at all familiar with its history. Although a quiet and unassuming man, with no ambition for public position or leadership, he has contributed much to the material advancement of the community, and his admirable qualities and upright course of life have tended greatly to the development of the circles in which he has moved and the county.
Alvis DEAN was born on August 30, 1854 in Randolph county, North Carolina, and was the son of Robartis and Sarah (LUCAS) DEAN. Robartis Dean was also born in Randolph county, North Carolina, on August 27, 1820, and was the only child of Wesley and Susan DEAN. He died November 11, 1908, a little over eighty-eight years of age. He led a very useful and worthy life, and was a farmer with the exception of a few years in his younger days when he taught school. In the year 1838 he was united in marriage to Margaret LUCAS, and to this union were born the following children: Emeline, Caroline, Susan, Kizziah and Margaret. His second marriage was to Sarah LUCAS, and to this union were born nine children: Isley; John W., Margaret L., Albert, Alvis, Robartis, Jr., John Milton, W. R., and William H. In 1871 he came from North Carolina to Indiana and with the aid of his family cleared many acres of dense timber land which then existed. Shortly after his arrival in this state he joined the Christian church, and during his whole life took an unusual interest in the welfare of that church. He bore the reputation of being a very pious man, and his friends and acquaintances revered him as the children loved him.
Alvis Dean received his education for the most part in the common schools of North Carolina, in fact, he attended the Indiana schools but one day. In 1871, on October 18, Mr. Dean came to Boone county, Indiana, but did not stay there many years, for in the autumn of 1880 he came to Clinton county and has lived here ever since. Mr. Dean has always farmed, with the exception of two years, during which time he lived in Frankfort. He moved there in 1910, but came back to the farm in 1912. Mr. Dean owns eighty acres of excellent land in this county, all of which is tillable but nine acres. The land is well tiled and equipped with other improvements which Mr. Dean himself built. Besides general farming, Mr. Dean deals quite successfully in stock raising. He handles the Shorthorn variety of cattle, Duroc hogs, and English draft horses. He is known to have had the best breed of the latter class in the township. Fraernally, Mr. Dean is a Mason at Middlefork; religiously, he belongs to the Missionary Baptist church, and politically, is a loyal Democrat.
On September 22, 1878, Mr. Dean was married to Nancy Jane UNGER, the daughter of George W. and Elvira (MAGGART) UNGER, extended reviews of whom are given in another part of this volume. Five children were born to this union; one who died unnamed: Elsey E. Born October 20, 1881; Elmer C., born June 18, 1883; Thomas C., born October 27, 1884, and Inez, born June 26, 1886.
pp. 642-643 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DENNIS, Albert T.
Among the capable men whose integrity and depth of character have gained a prominent place in the community and the esteem and admiration of his fellowmen is the honored subject of this sketch. A leading farmer and stockraiser of Clinton county, and a man of very good views and high ideas, his influence has ever been for the betterment of his community and the vocation in which he is interested. He ranks among the leading agriculturists of the county.
Albert T. DENNIS was born on April 15, 1844. Henry county, Indiana, the son of Benjamin and Clarkey POOL DENNIS, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the later of North Carolina. Benjamin Dennis was born in 1795 and was soldier in the American army during the war of 1812. Albert Dennis has four brothers and five sisters dead, and one brother living, William C. Dennis, of Greenfield, Ind., retired and father of a large family. The grandfather Dennis owned a half section of land in Pennsylvania, which he gave to the Shakers of Lebanon, O., when he joined them. Benjamin Dennis had three brothers: John, Thomas and Elijah, and one sister, who stayed with the Shakers.
Albert Dennis received his early education in a district school of Henry county, and later attended Earlham College in 1862-63, but was forced by sickness to abandon his course there. Albert was too young to enlist in the army during the Civil war, but he had two brothers who served, John and Thomas P., the latter dying during his enlistment. Mr. Dennis moved to Frankfort in 1883, shortly after being appointed commissioner of drainage. He filled this office in a very acceptable manner for five years. For one year, Mr. Dennis clerked in a hardware store, and then went into the grocery business, where he stayed for eleven years. The call of the open field was too strong for him, however, and he retired from business life to look after his magnificent farm of two hundred and forty acres in Forrest township. This estate is in excellent condition, being one of the model farms of the state. Mr. Dennis raises corn and oats, and takes great pride in his cattle, sheep, and hogs. He now lives in Frankfort, in a very pretty and commodious home on East Clinton street. Part of the timber in the house was grown on the land where it stands.
Mr. Dennis is affiliated with the free and Accepted Masons, is a Quaker, of rather, belongs to the Society of Friends, and in politics votes the Independent ticket.
In the year 1864, Mr. Dennis entered domestic life by marrying Emily Caroline WADDELL, the daughter of Charles and Euphemia WADDELL, natives of Pennsylvania. Only one child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Dennis and it died while in infancy.
Mr. Albert Dennis is fortunate in possessing a very complete record of her large family of ancestors. Her grandparents were among the early settlers of the East, both being born on the shores of Maryland, and were married in North Carolina in the year 1799. Her grandparents on the maternal side were Jacob and Sarah ROUSH of Pennsylvania, and the great-grandparents were John and Jane (MONTGOMERY) COOK, of Cook county, Ireland.
Mrs. Denniss brothers and sisters are William H., of Rushville; Martin F., of Indianapolis; Dilliha H., of Strawns, Ind.; and two brothers and four sisters now dead. Her mothers brothers and sisters were James, Archie, William, Samuel, Robert, David, John, Jane and Betsy, all of whom are dead. Her fathers brothers and sisters were Polly, Elizabeth, Charles, Sallie, Nancy, Henry and Jannie, all now passed from this life. The brothers of her grandfather on her fathers side were from Germany and all of them have died. They were Peter WADDELL, John, Jacob, Henry, Grotford and Katherine. Jacob WADDELLs grandmothers maiden name was WILLIS.
pp. 713-715 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DETRICK, John S., Capt.
CAPT. JOHN S. DETRICK, of Ross township, is one of those old soldiers whose actual record of battles and services to his country is excelled by no man in Clinton county. He springs from an old colonial Maryland family, of German origin. Peter Detrick, great-grandfather of the captain, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution. He settled in Virginia, living in both Rockingham and Augusta counties. He was the father of the following children: John, Phillip, Jacob, Peter, Henry, Abraham, Fredrick, Susan and Sarah. Peter Detrick was a prosperous farmer. He came to Harrison county, Ind., in 1818, with seven families, sons and sons-in-law. He was a member of the United Brethern in Christ, and died at the age of eighty-seven years. Peter, son of the above, and grandfather of the captain, was born in Maryland and married Mary BEARD; to them were born ten children: Peter, Jacob, John, David, Elizabeth, Margaret, Catherine Martha A., Polly and Sallie. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and in 1818 he moved to Indiana, settled in Harrison county with other members of the family, and cleared his farm from the virgin forest. He was a member of the United Brethern in Christ and a straightforward, honest citizen, and died on his farm, aged eighty-one years. Jacob, son of above and father of Capt. Detrick, was born July 3, 1805, in Augusta county, Va., received a common school education for his day and was ten years old when he came with his father to Indiana. He became a farmer and married, in Harrison county, Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Jane (STEWARD) APPLEGATE. Joseph Applegate was of English stock, an old settler of Harrison county, Ind., and a substantial farmer. He was the father of seven children: Stacy, James, John, David, Joseph, Elizabeth and Ellen. Mr. Applegate lived to be an old man and died on his farm in Harrison county. Mr. Detrick settled in Harrison county and bought and cleared up 160 acres of land. In 1868 he moved to Pulaski county, Ind., and bought 100 acres, but sold out in 1873 and retired from active business. Mrs. Detrick died in March, 1857, in Harrison county, Ind., and Mr. Detrick has never remarried. Mrs. Detrick was a member of the United Brethern in Christ, of which church he is also a valued member. He is a republican and a strong union man, and had three sons in the civil war: Joseph, in the Forty-ninth Indiana infantry, served one year as private and was in several battles; Levi, in company F, Eighty-first Indiana infantry, served three years as private, he was in many battles, among which were, Perryville, Richmond, Ky., Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Rocky Faced Ridge; was also in the Atlanta campaign; he was wounded at Vyning Station, and on recovery was at the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville. Jacob Detrick, father of our subject, has throughout been a conscientious and honorable man, and has now reached the patriarchal age of ninety years.
Capt. John S. Detrick was born in Harrison county, Ind., February 26, 1838. He received a common education, learned farming, and when sixteen years of age went to New Albany to learn the ship carpenter's trade, at which he worked for five months. He then ran on steamboats on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers four years. When the war broke out in 1861, he was running a wood-yard about thirty miles above Memphis, Tenn., and came home with considerable difficulty, concealed on board a steamboat. He was offered $200 in gold to enlist in the rebel army. On April 16, 1861, he enlisted in company A, Twelfth Indiana infantry, for the three months' service, at New Albany, Ind., under Capt. Thomas J. Morrison, and Col. William Wallace. The state quota being filled, his regiment was mustered into the twelve months' service, and did guard duty in the southern part of this state. In July, 1861, the regiment was assigned to the United States service for the remainder of their term; and arrived at Harper's Ferry the day after the battle of Bull Run. He was in the battles of Dam No. 4, Va., Winchester and several skirmishes; while in this service, his term expiring, he was honorably discharged May 19, 1862, at Washington City, and returned home. He then received a recruiting commission as first lieutenant from Gov. Morton under the state adjutant general, and recruited 400 men in Harrison, Floyd, Crawford, Orange, DuBois and Clark counties, Ind. He joined the Eighty-first Indiana infantry with 109 men as first Lieutenant, and was in the battle of Richmond, his regiment arriving at the latter part of the engagement, having double-quicked the distance of fourteen miles from Bear Grass Camp, Ky., many men falling out of ranks exhausted on the way, and only 112 of the regiment reaching the field. He was also in the battle of Perryville, Bowling Green, Ky., Edgefield, Tenn., Stone River. Tullahoma, Tenn., in a severe Skirmish at Winchester; was at Chickamauga, and was under fire while supporting Hooker's corps at Lookout Mountain; He was at Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, Rocky-faced Mount; in the Atlanta campaign, Pumpkin Vine Creek, Hoover's Gap, Resaca, Burnt Hickory, Kenesaw Mountain, Vining Station, Marietta, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, and in pursuit of Hood; at Atlanta Pass, Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville, and was shot by a minie ball passing through his left hip and splintering off part of the bone just below the joint. He was in the Cumberland hospital at Nashville about sixty-five days, and obtained leave of absence for ten days, which was extended ten days longer. After this visit home he reported to Gen. Palmer, Louisville Ky., and was assigned to the charge of exchange barracks, No. 15, at Louisville, as not being able to march. He remained in this charge until the war closed, and he was honorably discharged at Indianapolis, June 9, 1865. Mr. Detrick was promoted at Kingston, Ga., to a captaincy in 1864. He had previously commanded his company from the battle of Stone River for the reason that the captain was detached for other services. Capt. Detrick was in all the battles, skirmishes, marches and campaigns in which his regiment took part, until disabled by his wounds, there being only two small battles after this in which his regiment was engaged. He was a gallant and efficient officer and did his duty cheerfully. He remembers the forced marches as the hardest duty in which he was engaged, notably the 125 mile march from Louisville to Nashville in October, the troops enduring much suffering on account of heat, dust and scarcity of water, and many soldiers dropping out of the ranks from exhaustion, one-half of Capt. Detrick's company being disabled in this way. After the war Capt. Detrick married and settled in New Albany. His wife was Caroline, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (SMITH) LUTZ. Mr. Lutz was an old settler in Harrison county, Ind., of German descent, and at one time a prosperous farmer, who sold out and moved into New Albany and engaged in the commission business. He died in Tipton county, Ind., aged sixty-eight years. He was the father of four children: Mary J., Caroline, John C., and David H. Capt. Detrick left New Albany in 1868, lived a short time in Evansville and Louisville, and located in Tipton county, Ind., in 1871, on a farm residing there twelve years. In 1882 he settled at Rossville and bought property, and in 1887 built a substantial and tasteful residence. He was one of the early members of the G. A. R. becoming a member of the post at New Albany, Ind., in 1866. At present he is an honored member of Oliver Short post, No. 390, at Rossville and has filled all the principal offices, including commander. In politics he is a republican, and is a respected citizen.
Pages 647-651 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Among the highly respected and influential citizens of Mulberry, Clinton county, is Cyrus DIETER, whose life has been one of Usefulness and honor and one of more than average achievement along agricultural lines. He is, like so many o four enterprising citizens, a native of the old Keystone state. He has kept up the states reputation for sterling citizenship and loyalty to the government. He is a man of high ideals and good principles and has done much to further the moral uplift of the community in which he has lived.
Mr. Dieter was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, May 21, 1858, the son of James DIETER, a farmer and cooper. Our subjects mother was known in her maidenhood as Lena MACK, both natives of Northampton county, Pennsylvania, where they grew up and were married. They finally removed to Clinton county, Indiana, where they spent the rest of their lives, having located in Ross township. The father lived to the advanced age of eighty-four years and the mother died at the age of seventy-six. Their family consisted of twelve children: Cyrus, Monroe, Oscar, Alvin (deceased), Martin, Wilson, Amanda (deceased), wife of Tilghman SNYDER; Mary, wife of Walter HAUKER; Sinah, Ellen, and Jane, who died in infancy. The parents were members of the Reformed church, in which Mr. Dieter was an elder.
Cyrus Dieter was reared on the home farm and was educated in the public schools. In 1880, when twenty-two years old, he came to Clinton county, Indiana, arriving without a dollar, and in debt eleven dollars. He was, however, a youth of grit and ambition, and he began working out by the month, which he continued for a year, then rented a farm and in this way soon had a good foothold. He saved his money, bought land which he improved, then sold at a profit, first owning fifty-five acres, then one hundred and twenty acres in Carroll county. Selling out, he purchased two hundred and forty acres, which, in turn, he sold and purchased one hundred and sixty acres, two and one-half miles northeast of the town of Mulberry, Clinton county, and this he still owns. He has two good sets of buildings, a modernly furnished residence, and he has brought his place up to a high state of improvement and cultivation, until it is deserving to rank among the most desirable farms in the township. He keeps good grades of live stock of all kinds and has been very successful as a business man, deserving much credit for what he had done in the face of obstacles.
On November 18, 1886, Mr. Dieter married Martha E. PETER, daughter of Joseph PETER, who was accidentally killed in 1910 by a tree falling on him. Her mothers death occurred in February, 1913.
Five children have been born to our subject and wife. Elwood, operating his fathers farm; Ernest, married to Edna HUFFERT, has two children; Pearl, Married to James ROSS, of Carroll county, Indiana; Maud, at home; and Dorothy, attending school.
Mr. Dieter is retired from active farming and now resides in his fine home in the village of Mulberry. He is superintendent of the Mulberry Light and Power Company.
Mr. Dieter is a member of the Reformed church and active in the work of the same. He is superintendent of the Sunday school, which is one of the best known and most effective Sunday schools in the county. While living in Carroll county he was superintendent of a Sunday school for a period of seven years. He has been a deacon, also and an elder for a period of twenty-years.
Mr. Dieter is a Democrat, and was supervisor for about nine years.
pp. 810-811 Source II Transcribed by Tonya
PHILIP DORNER, a well known business man of Frankfort, Clinton county, Ind., is a native of Germany, born in the grand duchy of Baden December 12, 1825. His father, Frederick Dorner, also a native of Germany, and his mother, Christina (SCHOLDER) DORNER, were married in that country and became the parents of seven children-Karl, Heinrica, Amelia, Philip, Theodore (deceased), Adolph and Fred. The parents died in the fatherland, and one daughter Amelia, and two sons, Fred and Philip, came to the United States, where they have since lived.
Philip Dorner remained in his native country until 1852, and there learned the trade of tanning, which he followed with fair success until coming to the United States in July of the year mentioned. On coming to this country he made his way to Indiana, for a period of fifteen years worked at his chosen calling in La Fayette, and in 1867 located at Frankfort, where he continued his trade for some years. He first worked in the tanning business, and is now engaged in handling buggies, carriages, harness, etc., and his success in the same has been most encouraging, he being now considered among the most successful business men of his adopted city. His wife, whose maiden name was Magdaline SPITZNAGLE, a native of Germany, came to the United States via Liverpool in 1852, and they were married, in 1854, in the city of La Fayette. The following are the names of their children: Fred, Amelia, Lena, William, Bernhardt, George, Teany and Emma. Mr. Dorner is a member of the Lutheran church, to which his wife also belongs, and he is an active worker in the Odd Fellows' fraternity, belonging to both subordinate lodge and encampment. His life has been one of great activity, and by close attention to his business and good judgment in the management of his affairs; he has succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competence. His sons are associated with him in business, and the firm has a wide reputation in commercial circles for honorable dealing. He is essentially a self-made man, a good citizen, and his life may be taken as a notable example of what can be accomplished by honest endeavor, industry, and the exercise of correct business principles. Page 656.
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GEORGE DOTY, an old citizen of Jackson township, Clinton County, Ind., was born January 20, 1821, in Ross county, Ohio, and is the son of William and Margaret (WILEY) DOTY, natives respectively of New Jersey and Virginia. The subjects father located in Ross County, Ohio, as early as 1811, and, after a residence in that state of about twenty-three years, came to Clinton county, Ind., and entered 130 acres of land near the present site of the town of Mullberry. Here he cleared a good farm, reared his family, and here his death occurred in 1871, aged seventy-eight years. His wife preceded him to the grave, dying in 1857, aged 51 years. William and Margaret DOTY had a large family of children, of whom the following are living at this time: William S., of La Fayette; George, the subject of this sketch; Theodosia; Joseph, resides in Hannibal, Mo.; and Eunice. The following are the names of those deceased: Nancy, James, Elizabeth, Margaret and Robert.
George Doty was reared to manhood on a farm, and, on attaining his majority, learned the cooper's trade, which he followed for eight years. He then purchased a small tract of land in Tippecanoe county, where he made his home for some time, thence moved to the county of Clinton and purchased his present farm of 120 acres in Jackson township, where, with the exception of two years, he has since resided. At the time of its purchase, Mr. Doty's land was in an unimproved condition, covered with a dense forest growth, which he removed through years of hard labor with his own hands. His farm is under a successful state of cultivation, well supplied with improvements, and the general appearance of his place indicates the presence of a man who understands every detail of agriculture. In 1888, Mr. Doty removed to Frankfort, where he remained two years, but at the end of that time returned to his farm, where his declining years are being passed in comparative retirement, though he still gives personal attention to the management of his business affairs.
Mr. Doty's first marriage was solemnized in 1839 with Elizabeth Clark, daughter of Jonas P. and Susannah (FLANNER) CLARK, a union blessed by the birth of two children -- Mary E., wife of James BUCK, residing in Texas; and Elizabeth, wife of Henry ROTH, a farmer of Clinton county. The mother of these children died in 1842, and in 1855 Mr. Doty entered into the marriage relation with Sarah ROGERS, the union thus consummated resulting in six children, two living at this time -- Sarah M., wife of David HARDESTY, and Iva H., wife of George REGAN. The deceased members of the family are as follows: May N., Wiley T., Lavinna and Asa. Mr. DOTY's home was again visited by death in 1870, at which time Mrs. Doty was called from the scenes of her earthly labor. On the twentieth of August, 1874, Mr. Doty married his present wife, Mrs. Jane REGAN, daughter of Obed and Eliza (DAVIS) HARDESTY, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania respectively. Obed Hardesty was reared in Belmont county, Ohio, and when a young man located in Boone county, Ind., where he improved a farm, upon which his death occurred in 1870, and that of his wife in 1868; they were the parents of six children -- Sarah A., wife of Alexander Hardesty; Elizabeth, deceased; Jane, wife of Mr. Doty ; John R., of Fountain county, Ind.; Margaret C., wife of Wesley OSBORN, and Ellen, deceased. By a previous marriage with Mr. B. REAGAN, in 1860, Mrs. DOTY had three children -- Lorenzo C., of Boone county, Margaret M., wife of Henry HODGEN, and Oscar, deceased. The death of Mr. Reagan occurred in 1879. Mr. Doty is one of the old settlers of Clinton county, highly regarded by all. who know him, and his life has been one of industry and usefulness. Politically he is a democrat and religiously belongs to the Presbyterian church, of which his wife is also a communicant. Jackson township has fewer older or more successful residents than Mr. Doty, and surely not one who has been more willing to advance its prosperity. pages 654-655
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Samuel DOUGLASS, M.D.
SAMUEL DOUGLASS, M.D., an old and reliable physician of Frankfort, was born in Butler county, Ohio, March 7, 1826, son of John and Susan (BYERS) DOUGLASS, both parents natives of Pennsylvania. John Douglass was by occupation a farmer, which vocation he followed for some years in the state of his nativity, and afterward in Ohio, where he resided until his removed to Clinton county, Ind., in 1828. On coming to Clinton, he located in what was then Jackson township, having been one of the first pioneers of that section, and he resided there, engaged in pursuit of agriculture, until 1844, at which time he moved to Frankfort, where his death occurred in 1864. He was a very successful man, financially, accumulated a handsome property, and was one of the early county commissioners of Clinton. He served in the Indian war for six months, and is remembered as one of the most progressive and intelligent citizens, identified with the early history of that county. Mr. Douglass reared a family of nine children, namely: Joseph, a soldier in the Mexican war, killed at Vera Cruz; John B., Benjamin F., William A., Jackson A., Jacob S., Samuel, Nancy, and Rosanna, wife of J. R. BRECKENRIDGE.
Dr. Samuel Douglass was but two years old when the family moved to Clinton county, and his boyhood days were spent in the woods, and on the farm, which he assisted in clearing and fitting for cultivation. He remained with his father, assisting in the work of the farm until twenty-two years of age, and, in the meantime, having determined to devote his life to the medical profession, began his preparatory reading with Dr. W. J. BYERS, of Frankfort, under whose instructions he continued for three years. He then attended the Ohio Medical college at Cincinnati one term. In 1850, he went to California, where, in connection with the practice of his profession, he engaged in mining, trading and various kinds of speculation until 1853, when he returned to Frankfort, Ind., and embarked in the drug business. The doctor was identified with the drug trade for a period of ten years, at the end of which time he resumed the practice of his profession, and has since given it his entire attention, being now one of the oldest and most reliable practioners in Clinton county. The doctor was for two years a soldier in the late war as a member of company G, Eighty-sixth Indiana volunteer infantry, in which he held the office of first lieutenant. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Rural Hill and others, and was severely wounded in one engagement by the explosion of a shell near his head, the effect of which disabled him and caused him to resign his commission. In his calling, Dr. Douglass has been very successful, and has the reputation of being a very trustworthy physician and surgeon. He is public-spirited and liberal, enjoying the universal regard of the people of Clinton county, and looks back over a life well spent for the good of his fellow-men. He was married in Frankfort, May 8, 1856, to Louviar CATTERLIN, of Montgomery county, Ind., to which union two children have been born -- Frank J., a business man of Frankfort, and Paul, a telegraph operator. The doctor is a Mason, a democrat in politics, and his wife belongs to the Christian church.
pp. 656-7 Source I
Submitter: Mary Ann Hanson
DUNBAR, J. W.
This is often called the automobile age, and such a phrase is not at all far-fetched, for during the past few years, we have seen the automobile almost relegate the horse to the rear, at least in many sections of the country. It is a time saver, and, since time is money, as the wise Franklin said, the auto is therefore a money saver and money maker, and the pleasure in owning and operating one is not to be overlooked. The man who has become familiar with the automobile business in any of its phases is sure of a livelihood nowadays. A great many people know how to start and stop an auto, thinking that nothing else is required but everybody who owns, operates or has anything to do with one should know its mechanism, its possibilities and limitations, for many reasons. The machine handled by an expert will last much longer than one handled by a novice, besides the trouble that is to be expected if one knows little about them.
It is safe to say that no man in Clinton county is more of an automobile expert than J. W. Dunbar, proprietor of the popular Dunbar garage at the city of Colfax. He became interested in them at the start, began studying them from every viewpoint and is now one of the most thoroughly up to date automobile men in the state; in fact, he is one of the pioneers in the automobile business, and he constructed one of the first machines to be built in Indiana. He has been an expert mechanic for many years, and his long experience in the study and operation of the automobile makes his ideas exceptionally valuable. He understands all the details and mechanical workings of the different makers, from start to finish, and is very thorough in all his work and every job he turns out is done in the best possible manner and may be depended on to be all right in every detail. His repair work on machines for years has been regarded as far above the average and he has had all the work he could turn out, many of his patrons coming from long distances, and they are never disappointed with the results. His aim is ever accuracy and promptness. His large, modernly equipped and convenient garage building is twenty by eighty feet, is one-story annex, well adapted in every way for the purposes to which it is put. Also adjoining is a substantial two-story brick, forty by forty feet, which is devoted to his work in this line. He is prepared to promptly repair any make of machine, and he keeps all kinds of repairs and accessories to be found in the best garages and automobile repair shops everywhere. He has an extensive trade in Indianapolis and Washington, Indiana, having been at one time foreman of a large machine shop in the latter town.
Mr. Dunbar was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, January 28, 1863. He received a common school education, and in his earlier life engaged in farming and merchandising in Wright county, Iowa, and met with encouraging success at both. When a young man he learned the machinists trade, and at the age of twenty-two was quite proficient in iron and steel work. He married Ida BLACHER, and of this union one son has been born.
Politically, Mr. Dunbar has been more or less active in public affairs. He was formerly a member of the town board and was at one time marshal of the city of Colfax, performing his duty in a manner that met with general satisfaction to all concerned.
pp. 518-519 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DUNK, John William
Among the citizens of Clinton county who have been contented to devote their active lives to agricultural pursuits is John William DUNK, of Ross township. He was in the merchandise business for three years, and, having been a close student of the soils, the climate, the crops and all the phases that contribute to husbandry he has profited by his observation and is today well abreast of the times as an agriculturist. Although he does not farm on so large a scale as some of our citizens, none do their work any better. The man who tills properly a small farm often reaps larger results than his neighbor who carelessly manages a farm of large acreage.
Mr. Dunk was born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, on December 7, 1864. He is a son of John William DUNK, Sr., who was born in Germany. He was brought to America when a child and here he grew to manhood and married Joanna BACH, whose parents were natives of Holland. Her death occurred when our subject was three years old. He is one of six children, four sons and two daughters, namely: John W., of this sketch; Albert, of Ross township; Charles C., lives in St. Louis; Jno. M., of Tippecanoe county and two others who died in infancy unnamed.
The death of John W. Dunk, Sr., occurred in 1880 in Perry township. Tippecanoe county, Indiana, where he had removed with his family from Wisconsin a number of years previously. He was forty-eight years old. Politically, he was a Democrat, and religiously, was a member of the Reformed church.
John W. Dunk, of this sketch, was reared on the home farm and there he worked when a boy. He received his education in the common schools. In 1885 he married Laura E. BURKHALTER, a daughter of Henry BURKHALTER, a farmer of Perry township, Tippecanoe county, where she grew to womanhood and received her education in the common schools. The following children have been born to our subject and wife: Jennie M., Married Ernest BLACK; She taught school several years; Ray, owns a farm in this county which he operates, he also taught school several years; Earl E., was next in order and he also taught some, and Lawrence, nine years of age, now attending school.
Henry Burkhalter, father of Mrs. Dunk, died in 1872 at Edna Mills, Clinton county. He left two children, Mrs. Jennie YOST of Edna Mills, and Laura E., who married Mr. Dunk, of this sketch. Mr. Dunk has devoted his life to farming and is now owner of an excellent place of ninety-four acres in Ross township. He handles some good live stock from year to year and is making a comfortable living by his industry and good management. He has a good eight room house and convenient outbuildings, and his place is well fenced. Politically, he is a Democrat and is a worker for his party. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church at Rossville.
pp. 977-978 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DUNN, Alfred Z.
ALFRED Z. DUNN, a substantial farmer of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., is of German-Irish descent. Ambrose Dunn, his grandfather, was a native of Kentucky, but the major part of his life was spent in Bartholomew county, Ind., where he carried on a tavern and entertained royally for that day. Zethaniah Dunn, his son, and father of Alfred was born October 5, 1824, in Bartholomew county, Ind., and married Elizabeth PRUITT , and the following year, 1845, the couple settled in Clinton county, Ind., then a howling wilderness, on an eighty acre farm. Zethaniah Dunn died August 11, 1854; his widow is now past eighty, and is yet hale and strong. Her children are named Rebecba L., Margaret F., William A., Mary M., John M. and Alfred Z. Alfred Z. Dunn was born in Clinton county, Ind., February 16, 1855, and has always lived on a farm. He married Lydia WALKER; their only child, Laurence F., has resided with his grandmother Dunn ever since he lost his mother, when he was but a few months old. The second marriage of Mr. Dunn was with Mrs. Hattie BEEBOUT, widow of Junius C. Beebout and daughter of James C. and Elizabeth (PARIS) HEATON. To this union the following children have been born: William, died in infancy; Vernal G., Kannie C., Gladys F., Truman W. and Basil C. Mr. Dunn owns a fertile and well-improved farm of eighty acres, with modern residence and substantial farm buildings, and makes a specialty of Chester White hogs. He is a dormant member of the I. 0. R. M., and in politics is a democrat. He is able to say, what very few others can say, that he does not owe a dollar in the world. p. 662.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
DUNN, George W.
GEORGE W. DUNN, a substantial young farmer of Forest township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, October 9, 1857, and is of Irish extraction, but has an American pedigree of several generations. His grandfather, Armstrong Dunn, was a citizen and farmer of Lawrence county, Ohio, for some years, but had previously been a musician on board of one of the steamers plying the Ohio river; the latter part of his life, however, was passed in Hamilton county, Ind., as a minister in the Baptist church. His son, Joseph Dunn, was also born in Lawrence county, Ohio, in 1833, and married Amanda MURPHY, daughter of Archie and Elizabeth MURPHY, this union resulting in the birth of the following children. Jennie, Isaac F., George W., Robert, Burton E., Louisa, Katy, Joseph H., Eva and Bertha. By trade Joseph Dunn was a carpenter, and, on moving to New Britain, Hamilton county, Ind., became a contractor and did an excellent business. He and wife were members of the regular Baptist church, in which he was deacon for a number of years. His death took place February 22, 1889, but he had been preceded to the silent land by Mrs. Dunn February 22, 1879. George W. Dunn learned carpentering under his father, and for a number of years worked at the trade in Clinton county. He married Miss Laura B. DAVIS, daughter of Hueston and Mary (COWDREY) DAVIS. The children born to George W. Dunn and wife are five in number, and are named Loren 0., Olney I., Neva L., Mary C., and Marvel C. Mr. Dunn and wife own a fine farm of 170 acres, highly cultivated, and improved with a com fortable dwelling, and a large, new, modern farm barn, and Mr. Dunn is happy in the possession of the noted draft horse, Hawk Eye Pate. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dunn are members of the regular Baptist church, which they aid liberally with their means, as well as with their moral influence. In politics Mr. Dunn is strongly republican, and by this party has been elected a trustee of the township, and at pres-ent is an incumbent of the office. He is a member of Forest lodge, K. of P., and is highly respected as a useful citizen and progressive farmer.
pages 661-662 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
DUNN, George W.
Few residents of Clinton county were so well and favorably known as the enterprising farmer and representative citizen who now rests in the sleep of eternity, but whose life is briefly told in the lines of this sketch. None stood higher than he in the esteem and confidence of the community in which he resided and for the material advancement of which he devoted much of his time and influence. Mr. Dunn was an advocate of good living and, during his active years, took prominent part in social and moral development, in which his efforts were rewarded with due meed of success, and the retrospective view of his life was pleasant and satisfying. Much of the present prosperity of the county is due to the efforts of such as he, and, although he was not a native of the county, his name will emblazon the pages of her history as a good citizen and loyal.
George W. DUNN was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, on October 9, 1857, and was of Irish extraction, but with goodly mixture of Americans in his line for several generations. His grandfather, Armstrong DUNN, was a farmer of Lawrence county, Ohio, for many years, but had previously been a musician on board of one of the steamers plying the Ohio river. The later part of his life, however, was passed in Hamilton county, Indiana, as a minister in the Baptist church. His son, Joseph DUNN, was also born in Lawrence county, Ohio, in 1833, and married Amanda MURPHY, daughter of Archie and Elizabeth MURPHY, the union resulting in the birth of the following children: Jennie, Isaac E., George W., Robert, Burton E. Louisa, Katy, Joseph H., Eva and Bertha. By trade Joseph Dunn was a carpenter, and, on moving to New Britain, Hamilton county, Indiana, became a contractor and did an excellent business. He and his wife were members of the regular Baptist church, in which he was a deacon for a number of years. His death took place February 22, 1889: his wife had previously died, February 22, 1879.
George W. Dunn learned carpentering under his father, and for a number of years worked at the trade in Clinton county. Later he became a farmer and gravel road contractor, at which he was a great success. At the time of his death, on August 5, 1901, Mr. Dunn was the owner of one hundred and seventy acres of excellent land, all tillable but a few acres. The place had all the modern improvements to be obtained. Although the farm was not among the largest of the county, it bore the reputation of being one of the most productive for the number of acres of any farm in the county. This was largely due to Mr. Dunns skill in the agricultural profession. Mrs. Dunn, the widow, now carries on the work of the place, and is making a success of the undertaking. She does general farming and also raises Jersey cows, general purpose horses, and Plymouth Rock chickens. Mr. Dunn and his wife were both members of the Baptist church, and were very active in the work of the same. Politically, he was a Republican, and served as trustee of Forest township for six years. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias at Forest.
Mr. Dunn was married on November 9, 1881, to Laura B. DAVIS, the daughter of Hueston and Mary (COWDRY) DAVIS. To this union there were born the following children: Loren O., born February 4, 1883, married to Zora BEACH, and now living in Burlington; Olney I., born January 11, 1884, died July 17, 1884; Neva L., born August 5, 1885, died November 11, 1885; Mary C., born April 13, 1886, married to Earl B. STEVENS, now living in Forest township; Marvel E., born June 19, 1892; Gaye M., born April 20, 1895, living at home; Joseph Hueston, born September 26, 1896; and Davis Perry, born April 3, 1899.
pp. 673-674 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DUNN, Robert F.
Among the well-to-do and reputable agriculturists and citizens of Clinton county, none occupy a more honorable position in the regard of his colleagues than the gentleman whose name heads this article. Although Mr. Dunn has not been active in the farming circles of the county for twelve years or more, having entered the coal business, he is remembered as a successful man in that vocation, and this reputation has helped not a little in establishing his present popularity and lucrative trade. He is a man who has succeeded in the various lines of endeavor which have claimed his attention because he has looked carefully to details, has exercised sound judgement and been uniformly fair in his dealings with his fellow men and consequently he has ever enjoyed their implicit confidence and good will and is in every way worthy of the position he has attained as a citizen of Clinton county.
Robert F. DUNN was born on March 14, 1860, in Hamilton county, Indiana, and was the son of Joseph and Amanda (MURPHY) DUNN, whose biographies are upon another page of this volume. To say a word more, however, Joseph Dunn was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, and was married to Amanda Murphy there, coming to this county in 1839, and following the farming business, besides contracting and general carpentering. He was a Whig, and later a Republican. Ten children blessed his home, three of whom are living at this writing, these being Burton E., of Muncie, Ind.; Amanda MORGAN, of Indianapolis; and Robert F., our subject.
Robert F. Dunn received a common school education in his youth in the county of his birth. About the year 1885 Mr. Dunn moved to Clinton county, Indiana, from Hamilton county, this state, and settled in Forest township, taking up farming, which he conducted very successfully until twelve years ago. At that time he entered the coal business at Forest, Indiana (this county), under the name of R. F. Dunn Coal Yard. He carries a full stock of the best anthracite, hard and soft coals and coke. He has a large patronage and his customers are always assured of full weight and minimum prices. Mr. Dunn owns his own business, also his beautiful and comfortable home here. In politics, he is a Republican, but has never sought public office. Fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Rebekahs and the Knights of Pythias, all lodges at Forest. He is a trustee in the Methodist Episcopal church of this town.
On December 11, 1878 Mr. Dunn was married to Amanda HEADY, who was born in Hamilton county, Indiana, on November 19, 1859, the daughter of Percy and Elizabeth (CASTETTER) HEADY, also natives of Hamilton county, Indiana. Mr. Heady was born in 1826 and died in April, 1864, after an active life of farming. He was a Democrat. Mrs. Heady was born in 1827, and died in January, 1873. To Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Dunn ten children have been born and they are: Earle, born September 5, 1881; Emery Lee, born October 2, 1883; Rosy Gladys, born August 23, 1890; Frank G., born July 10, 1887; May Bell, born May 19, 1885, and died in 1886; Esta E. born April 23, 1893; Forest Clinton, born August 9, 1896; and Ural Eugene, born January 4, 1899. Two infants, twins, died unnamed.
pp. 682-683 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DUNN, William A.
The gentleman whose name heads this paragraph is regarded as one of the most progressive agriculturists of Michigan township, Clinton county, where he has spent his life. His well directed efforts in practical every-day affairs, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought to him prosperity and his life demonstrates what may be accomplished by any man of energy and ambition who is not afraid to work and has the perseverance to continue his labors in the face of many discouragements which may seem to arise. In all the relations of life he has commanded the respect and confidence of those with whom he has been brought into contact.
William A. DUNN was born on the first day of the year 1851, in Michigan township, Clinton county, and was the son of Zeth and Elizabeth (PRUITT) DUNN, the father having been born in 1818 in Jennings couty, Indiana, and died August 12, 1856. He was a farmer and a Republican, and moved here after his marriage, also lived in Bartholomew county for a time. The mother was born July 12, 1826, in Bartholomew county. Six children were born to the union, namely: Maggie CLARK, Mary MILLER, William A., John, Albert, and Louisa (deceased).
Our subject received a small education in Bartholomew county and after his fathers death he moved to the above county with his widowed mother remained a farmer, and at present owns one hundred acres where he lives, all of which is tillable with the exception of two acres, which is in pasture. The land is tiled and fenced in approved fashion, and Mr. Dunn has built his own home. Mr. Dunn also owns another small farm west of here. He raises Jersey cows, Poland China mixed with Chester White hogs, and common breed of horses. Politically, Mr. Dunn is a Democrat.
On October 22, 1878, Mr. Dunn was married to Laura HEATON, who was born in Forest township on February 25, 1856, and was the daughter of Sanford and Rebecca (NIXON) HEATON, natives of Rush county, Indiana. The father was a farmer and a Democrat. Mrs. Dunn received a common October 4, 1878, married Clifford CRAWFORD; Pearl, born October 12, 1880, married Bert WOOD; Dillard, born August 5, 1884, married Mabel ZERFAS; Artic, born February 24, 1891, at home; Denzel, born May 16, 1893, and Vera, born July 13, 1896.
pp. 577-578 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
Note from Tonya I have typed many errors in these bios just as they appear in the book .however, this bio is particularly bad and I think a few sentences are even missing (especially in the last paragraph) but it is typed just as it appears in the book just thought I would mention it in case you happened to notice how bad it is.
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.